Transmission is one of the many fundamental components of a vehicle that conveys power generated by the engine to the axles and wheels, putting it in motion. The transmission contains oil or fluid that facilitates frictionless shifting of the gear assembly, provides hydraulic power, and cools off the transmission. Regular maintenance of transmission fluid is vital for optimal vehicle operations.
What is a Transmission Flush?
With the passage of time and distance, transmission fluid gathers contaminants that cause increased friction and heat generation, overall hampering the transmission assembly. The process of removing this soiled fluid and replacing it with a fresh one is called a Transmission Flush.
Transmission flush not only removes the dirty fluid but clears any leftover grime and residue as well, followed by a new fluid refill. Flushing of transmission fluid ensures that the new fluid does not get contaminated by the old debris.
Does my Car need a Transmission Flush?
If the transmission fluid runs low or gets soiled, the vehicle might exhibit some signs that indicate the need for a transmission flush.
- Difficulty in shifting gears
- Discoloration of transmission fluid
- Abnormal noises from the transmission
- Transmission slipping
- Apparent leakage
It is recommended by most manufacturers to get a transmission flush every 30,000 miles but should be performed immediately if any of the above signs appear.
What are the Benefits of having Transmission Fluid Flushed?
Proper and regular transmission fluid flush not only extends the lifespan of transmission but also enhances the overall performance of the vehicle's engine. Here are some evident benefits of a transmission flush.
- Dirty transmission fluid contains abrasive pollutants that increase frictional heat generation. Fluid replacement reduces the heat and eliminates harmful deposits.
- Clean transmission fluid makes the gear operations smooth and safe avoiding any slipping.
- Transmission flush as part of preventative maintenance can prevent any future problems in the vehicle's transmission. Avoidance of unexpected and costly transmission repair or replacement is one of the most important benefits of a scheduled transmission fluid flush.
- A well-maintained transmission fluid runs the transmission smoothly, and as a result, other engine components produce energy more efficiently, resulting in improved engine and fuel efficiency.
Transmission is a vital component of the vehicle. Adherence to its maintenance schedule is important to prevent any unanticipated vehicle failures and maximizing its performance.